Updated: 07/24/2020 – 18:25
Exotic chicken soup with coconut milk: Tom Kha Gai
Chicken soup always works. But if you want to immerse yourself in exotic worlds of pleasure instead of classic home cooking, then you should definitely try this delicious soup from Thailand: Tom Kha Gai.
And here’s how it’s done:
- Wash the peppers first, then cut them into rings. Rinse them again under running water and remove the seeds. Remove the outer leaves of the lemongrass, clean them and cut them in half lengthwise. Wash the galangal then cut it into pieces. Select the cilantro, rinse it and shake it thoroughly. Then tear off the leaves and set aside. save the stems.
- Dry the chicken breast fillet and cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Prepare a large saucepan and mix in the coconut milk, 750ml water and 1 tbsp chicken stock and bring to the boil. Add a portion of the chili, lemon zest, galangal, cilantro stems, kaffir lime leaves and shredded chicken and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, clean and slice the mushrooms, then add them to the soup. Cook another five minutes.
- Squeeze the lime juice and season the soup with it, fish sauce, salt, pepper and a pinch of sugar if necessary.
- Before serving, remove the lemongrass, galangal, cilantro stems and kaffir lime leaves from the soup. Garnish the soup with fresh cilantro and the remaining chili rings – and serve!
Point: You can also add other vegetables to the recipe. Mung bean sprouts, crushed peppers and cherry tomatoes, for example, also go well together. And if you prefer a vegetarian option, you can omit the chicken or replace it with pre-fried tofu.
Especially in the middle of summer, when the desire to travel is great but vacation is not possible, people like to have a holiday feeling on their plate with delicious international recipes. Our Recipe by Tom Kha Gai takes you culinary to Thailand – one of the favorite travel destinations of the Germans. If you want to learn more about recipes from the Far East, you should definitely browse our gallery. There is so much to discover:
A positive side effect of this exotic chicken soup with coconut milk should not be ignored: the soup is not only incredibly delicious, but also suitable for a low carbohydrate diet with only 8g of carbohydrates per serving. Perfect if you’re on a diet. You can also find other great soup recipes on our extensive theme page.