Mustard soup is ideal for the cold season and is quick to prepare. You can make them from local ingredients. Here you can find out how to make mustard soup – whether classic or vegan.
The most important ingredient for a good mustard soup is a spicy mustard. Mustard is made from the aromatic mustard seeds. Along with a few other ingredients, it forms the basis of mustard soup. It is quick to cook and very suitable for fall and winter cooking, as its warm spiciness has a warming and stimulating effect.
The classic soup recipe involves dairy products. But even as a vegan, you can enjoy mustard soup with our preparation tips. Both variants can be made from regional products.
Cream of mustard soup: a regional recipe
For this recipe, you need medium-hot, mild mustard.
Point: Try the soup with a particularly unusual type of mustard, for example homemade orange mustard, mustard pear or FIG Mustard. These specialties give your soup a surprisingly fruity aroma.
Spicy mustard soup
- Preparation: about 35 minutes
- Quantity: 4 serving(s)
medium spicy mustard
Cut the potatoes and onion into small cubes, the leek into thin rings.
Melt the butter in a large saucepan and sauté the vegetables for 5 minutes.
Add the vegetable broth and the cream to the vegetables, let everything boil briefly then simmer gently over medium heat for 15 minutes.
Add the medium hot mustard, mild mustard, salt and pepper to the soup. Let the soup cook for another five to ten minutes.
Puree the soup with a hand blender.
Wash and very finely chop the parsley. Mix them with the mustard soup before serving.
Point: Serve with the soup homemade croutons and sprinkle them fresh herbs your choice.
Mustard soup: The vegan version
If you eat vegan, you don’t have to do without the delicious mustard soup. Simply replace the animal products in the recipe with plant-based alternatives:
- Use instead of butter vegan margarine. Alternatively, you can also put the vegetables in vegetable cooking oil braise.
- The cream makes the soup creamy. Suitable as an alternative vegan cream. You can buy oatmeal cream substitutes at health food stores or Make your own oatmeal.
Regional ingredients for your mustard soup
Use ingredients for your mustard soup regional culture. This saves you long transport journeys and supports local agriculture. Also be careful when shopping biological quality. Organic joint, such as demeter, natural land or organic soilcharacterize fresh products free of synthetic chemicals pesticides are. It’s healthy for you and for the environment. Especially with dairy products it is important to pay attention to the biological origin. In this way, you support a more species-appropriate animal husbandry.
You can buy regional products at the weekly market or in the organic store – or you can grow them yourself. In our guide articles you will find advice and information on:
- French Dijon Mustard is one of the most unusual types of mustard. But many delicious varieties of mustard also grow in the home garden. mustard plant you can easily do it yourself. mustard seeds are used in a variety of ways in the kitchen and home pharmacy. As well make your own mustard is lightweight and a durable alternative to store-bought products.
- You can get cheap organic potatoes in your area. But you can also do it in your own garden plant potatoes.
- As well leek and onions grow beautifully in the home garden.
- The vegetable broth gives the soup a delicious flavor. Make your own vegetable broth it’s light and tastes good. Use fresh local ingredients.
- fresh herbs such as Parsley, cress or chive. You can easily grow all three in the garden or on the balcony.
Learn more about Utopia.de:
** marked with a ** or orange underlined Some links to sources of supply are affiliate links: if you buy here, you are actively supporting Utopia.de, because then we receive a small part of the sales proceeds. More information.
Do you like this post?
Thank you for your vote!